Pages

Friday, April 3, 2009

bran-tastic!

I'm a social pastry eater like some people are "social drinkers." Yeah, right. I thought I might diverge the pastry habit with warm bran muffins in the morning. Instead, I've just created a sweet, sweet rationalization mechanism for more pastry. In fact, I don't know what could justify an afternoon peach cobbler better than wholesome fiber and guilt-free baking.

This recipe from Farmgirl Fare seriously puts the bran in bran muffin by mixing up lots of wheat bran, oat bran, yogurt, and honey, for a light, moist breakfast affair.

Remarkably, I followed the recipe as written, and threw in a handful of currants with yummy results. Consume smeared with peanut butter or honey. If bran isn't your number one breakfast choice, consider the banana or berry variations. This batter makes a wonderful base for lots of fun variations and might change your mind about the less decadent cousin of the streusel topped blueberry muffin.

Bake up a batch of these and feel bran-tastic about eating that brownie!

No comments: